Chances are you're already outsourcing some business tasks, think about your business accounting – most likely you have an accountant to do this for you. This is outsourcing. You have outsourced your accounting work.
These days, almost any task can be outsourced, however, just because you can outsource a task doesn't mean you should.
Essentially there are 2 reasons why you might choose to outsource:
a. You don’t have the expertise in-house.
b. You just want to run your business smarter and more efficiently with lower overheads.
Having an accountant is an example of outsourcing because you don’t have the expertise in house. More and more businesses are starting to operate in a smarter way, finding ways to reduce overheads. After all the lower your operating costs, the higher your profit margins are likely to be right?
As a rule of thumb, only outsource non-strategic, non-critical work. Your tax returns and business accounting is an example of something that will not necessarily harm the success of your operations (providing it is done in line with the law!)
Be sure you keep core, strategic and critical work in house. Work that adds the most value to your business, such as New Business Development, Product Development etc.
Within all your operations you will find there are numerous non-core back office type of tasks that are essential in running your business, but they do not directly add any value to your business. These are the tasks you need to outsource.
1. You may have tonnes of spread sheets that need to be populated
2. You may have tonnes of invoices that need to be reconciled
3. Your website may need a lot of products to be uploaded and managed
4. Your online marketing efforts need numerous individuals taking part, especially social media marketing
5. Your PPC campaigns which a PPC manager can conduct from anywhere
6. Your after sales customer service, you could outsource 4 virtual customer service agents for the cost of one local customer service thus resulting in 7. more queries handled
7. Your IT and network maintenance, with cloud computing most of this can be done from anywhere
8. Maintenance of your website and ongoing development.
9. Your receptionist could be a virtual receptionist, or a team of virtual reception so you do not miss many customer calls.
10. And many more types of roles and tasks.
All the tasks and roles mentioned above do not directly result in added revenue to your business, but they are still important parts of running a successful business.